Fashion

I have to do some clothes shopping today, mostly for work, but also to improve my wardrobe. The first few times I ever came to New York, I felt really out of place – and it was because of fashion and clothing. I felt so incredibly underdressed, even in the most casual circumstances; and it wasn’t even all about having fancy designer getups or what have you, it was simply a question of assembling things in an interesting way. Just a matter of style… and I didn’t have any. Still don’t really, and I need to address that.

This entry was posted in Life and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Fashion

1. dura_luxe says:

Can’t beat H&M. Cheap and cute. If you need to stock up, it’s a good bet.

Canal Jeans is also good, but I don’t know about the menswear.

• dura_luxe says:

Oh, and I bought Erik almost all of his pants at Urban Outfitters.

• mik3cap says:

Most places I go to I have to hope that they stock 2XL shirts or 42 waist pants. If I’m lucky, they don’t run small; the 2XL shirts are invariably an inch or two shorter than I’d like. I’ve been on this borderline of sizes for a while now, being not quite small enough for the nice clothes.

The day I finally get down into the 30s for waist size will be a very good day. I’m not sure I’ll ever be an XL though, my shoulders are too broad.

2. oldest_song says:

If you happen upon good places for dressing ladies of the academic/geek persuasion, let me know. My NY family is constantly threatening to drag me into the city and unmake my wardrobe, and this may be the year they do it.

3. moviemuff says:

You MUST go to MACYS with us when you get your first check.

And for cooler casual clothing checkout sales at – 555 SOUL

This is the blazer I just got for $45.

4. vlvtjones says:

Agreed with your sis above. Go to a dept store like Macy’s and get the cornerstone pieces you’ll need from season to season. “The Classics”, as it were – tailored trousers, dress shirts, that sort of thing. Then go to the hipper stores to grab the highlight pieces: jeans, shirts, jackets, accessories.

Things to note: loud patterns do not camouflage anything, things that fit big on you will make you look bigger, not smaller, and don’t be afraid to take your stuff to a tailor to make them fit properly. Men have it easy: most stores do not charge men for tailoring like they do women.